Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All We Need is Each Other and This Chicken


Last night I tuned into Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations and they were in the Philippines. I was excited because my husband is first generation American-Filipino and I wanted to hear Anthony’s take on the country’s food. He talked about the more well known characteristics about how it’s a melting pot, how there are a lot of salty, sour, bitter flavors, and of course showcasing adobo (the national dish) and pancit (a rice noodle dish filled with the kitchen sink). I have added at the bottom of the page my favorite Filipino dish – Arroz Caldo.

But I had to laugh when he went to the home of his guide’s family. He had some of the usual apprehension someone feels when dining with strangers but it quickly went away as he literally went from the front door to the dinner table. Ha! No time for awkward small talk- it was straight to eating. This is what I love about my Filipino family! During our family nights, it’s straight to the table for the first course (we call it appetizers but its really too elaborate to call it that). There, we talk and gossip over good food and bond as a family. Store-bought, ready-made items are few and far between because taking time to make a dish is as much as an expression of love as saying the words.

Historically, for Filipinos, serving guests the best of what they have not only is a virtue but leaves them the promise of true friendship. I am generalizing, here, to natives of the country. A typical Filipino house is not completely called a home without a facility ready for unexpected visitors. It is filled with the best household items reserved only for them, while ordinary ones are for everyday use. They welcome guests with the phrase “feel at home” to make them at ease. Arriving at your host’s house during mealtime may be awkward but if it’s in a Filipino house, you will most definitely be invited to share what is on table. Eating alone without asking others, according to Filipino customs, is considered rude. These manners reflect how much Filipinos respect their visitors and their guests.

On a vacation to the beach with the extended Filipino family one year, we set up camp under the pier. I was with all my in-laws and nieces and I decided to get lunch for everyone at the grocery store a few blocks away. I brought back some fried chicken (I know, store-bought but we were on vacation!) and it started to rain- I could see a dark storm approaching so I ran all the way back and just in time! The rain starting pummeling down and the wind was blowing so hard that it was actually raining sideways. We were getting wet despite the shelter but it didn’t deter our lunchtime business. Happily eating our chicken and ignoring the weather, my sister-in-law said “All we need each other and this chicken.” And you know what? She was right.

---------------------------------------------
Arroz Caldo - Filipino Congee Recipe
This recipe literally translates to “hot rice” It is really easy and the East’s version of chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice soup. Everything is more or less to taste- its nearly impossible to mess up this dish (and those aren’t just famous last words). The best part are the garnishes you put on top. It transforms soup into an event!

Cook 2 cups of brown or white rice
For the chicken you can use a rotisserie or chicken breasts and then pull apart. I used chicken breasts that I just boiled and shredded. I use 3-4 chicken breasts.
Sauté garlic, fresh minced ginger and minced onion in butter (half stick) for a few minutes until soft. Then add a couple of spoons of flour to form a roux. Start with 1 tbl of flour and add more if needed. Stir until just brown -- about a minute.
I pour two cartons (32 oz) of chicken broth in with the roux, add the shredded chicken and cooked rice. Simmer until thickm at least 45 minutes. The idea is to get a good porridge consistency. Add a few dashes of fish sauce or soy sauce while cooking and the juice of 1 lemon.

The fun part of this are the toppings! Set these ingredients out in bowls for garnish.
Fried garlic – I use one whole bulb
Fresh cilantro
Spring onion, chopped
Crushed fried pork skins
Limes
Fish sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment