Friday, August 13, 2010

Ice Cream for Dinner


I think tonight we’re going to have ice cream for dinner. Its too HOT for anything else. And if one more person tells me to "stay warm" (har har), I might lose it. These are the days when you start longing for a change in season. Who wants to cook? You start something on the stove and it heats up the whole kitchen. Who wants to eat outside? Too many mosquitoes. Too muggy. Too darn hot – like that Ella Fitzgerald song from the 1940’s.

I do like to entertain in the summer, though, because the pace is slower but I do my best to avoid the stove at all costs. A perfect summer night dinner with friends is a Salad Nicoise- it makes you look gourmet too. Basically a Salad Nicoise is a composed salad with origins in Nice, France. It typically has canned tuna, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, green beans, capers. olives and anchovies served on a bed of butter lettuce. Its “composed” not because it’s more civilized but because each ingredient is seasoned separately then assembled on a platter. It sounds like it is a lot of prep – and it does take time but the final outcome is so elegant! You will definitely make your friends feel special with this one.

First things first – forget that canned tuna. Canned tuna is for tuna salad, otherwise its too reminiscent of cat food. Here in Atlanta you can buy sushi grade tuna at the Super H. This is what I buy and I just sear it after it marinates in soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. You can also use tuna or salmon steaks – really any protein you wish- flank steak or skirt steak would also be good! Use a BIG platter- the one you use for the Thanksgiving turkey. All of the components of the salad I make the night before except for the tuna. The ingredients I use are below, add some more, take some away, this dish is easily personalized. I arrange everything in groups on the platter before serving. Serve with French, Italian or Cuban bread. The Mostess Hostess has a great French Bread Mix in the Taste of Georgia gift basket. It comes from Helen, Georgia which is a long way from France but it makes someone baking-challenged like me look accomplished!

Boil small red potatoes or fingerling potatoes until tender. Dress with salt, rosemary and olive oil. Refrigerate overnight.
Blanch green beans (or asparagus) toss with garlic, salt and lemon. Refrigerate overnight.
Hard boil the eggs.
Sliced mushrooms cooked in a little butter and Lawry’s Lemon Pepper. Refrigerate overnight.
Buy olives, anchovies, and capers.
Also include tomatoes, thin sliced red onion, carrot shreds, blue cheese or feta.


This will be on the menu soon and if you’ve had this at my house already, you know it’s because I love you! And if you haven’t, let me know so I can spread the love around. Tonight, though, its ice cream for dinner. Meet you at Bruster’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment